Saturday, January 2, 2010

Learning to laugh

Someone once said that laughter is the best medicine. I've always thought that there was some truth to that statement, but I sometimes found it hard to practice. Lately, I have been putting it to the test and maybe if I try hard enough, it could become a good habit.

A couple of days ago I had a good chance to laugh about what was possibly a series of unhappy events. The story goes this way:

On Tuesday night, I got home after a pretty long day at work and I was so tired. When I came through the door, I saw Pam busily wrapping a present. It was a book that she had picked out for her friend Jan's birthday. I thought it was a little strange because she had spent the previous few days reading the book and now it was time to give it away. Anyway, she was surrounded by wrapping paper and ribbons that she had taken from the bottom drawer of the dresser in the bedroom. I mustered all of my energy and changed my clothes into some sweats and sat down to watch some football while sipping some hot chocolate. I was just getting comfy and settled in when Pam asked me to drive her over to Jan's house to deliver the gift. She promised that she would simply run the used present up to the door and that was all. I really didn't want to go because in addition to my being exhausted, and being ready to enjoy my hot chocolate, I knew full well that my presence served no purpose except to provide chauffer service for my dear wife. Anyway, after deciding that refusing might hurt Pam's feelings, I agreed to go (Ward Cleaver complex) and within a few minutes we were on our way. As we pulled up to the house, Pam again assured me that the delivery would be brief and limited to the door and back. It just so happened that I parked in a spot that caused my view to be partially occluded due to some landscaping in front of the house. Pam quickly disappeared up the walk and through the bushes and I could see the top of her head as she approached the front door. After a few moments, I saw the door open and seconds later, I watched her head go through the door as it closed. At that moment, I knew I had been decieved. Twenty minutes later, Pam came back to the car apoligies already racing from her lips. Trying my best to keep things upbeat, I just laughed it off. "Pretty good, no anger", I thought to myself, as we arrived back to our house.

A couple of hours had passed and I became very drowsy. About 8:30 P.M. I couldn't stay awake any longer, so I started toward our bedroom. I got as far as the doorway and saw Pam laying on the bed reading another book (I wonder if it will be my Birthday present). Not wanting to disrupt her, I backed away and sought refuge on the bed in the guest room. I was so tired that I must have fallen asleep as my head touched the pillow. A couple of hours later, I was wakened by the sound of the television. Pam was watching something and had the volume turned up kind of loud. "Laughter is the best medicine" I kept telling myself as I trudged down the hall toward our bed.

It was obvious that Pam had finished her reading as the lights had been turned out and the bedroom was completely dark. "Good I can't wait to crawl into bed" I thought as I closed the door behind me and groggily shuffled toward my side of the bed, eyes barely open. Suddenly, I was awaken as I found myself falling through the air, arms flailing and letting out a groan as I hit the floor. I couldn't imagine what it was that made me take such a spectacular spill. Both of my shins ached and the palms of my hands were stinging from the harsh landing. Still in shock, I looked back and saw the cause of my misfortune. It was the bottom dresser drawer from which Pam had taken the wrapping paper. It was still open! There was no way that I could have seen it in the dark room and navigating my way in a half state of sleep walking. I called out to Pam, but she couldn't hear over the television or through the closed door. I don't know how, but I managed to close the drawer and get into bed. After rubbing my shins for a few minutes, I decided that sleep was more urgent than getting angry; besides that, I remembered the "Laughter/medicine" nonsense that I was trying to test.

The next morning I found out that laughter really is the best medicine after all, because when I told Pam about my tumble, her big smile and laugh seemed to melt any guilt that she might have otherwise felt. In all honesty, after thinking about it, I had to smile too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad nothing is broken. It's like a comedy routine the two of you have been perfecting for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Story. =) Shane and I really got a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete