Sunday, October 25, 2009

A new hobby

I haven't blogged but once, mainly because Megan helped me the first time. Since then, I have tried, but for lack of remembering my password and knowledge of how to navigate the site, this blog has been nonexistent. Luckily for me, I was talking to Megan on the phone and after taking a browbeating about my blogging negligence, she again helped me to get on track.

Just to bring you up to speed, I have been engaged in a new hobby. It is fly rod building. It came about kind of by accident. Last summer, we were in Utah visiting friends and family, and I decided to go browsing through Cabella's. I was in the fly fishing department and saw some fly rod kits. There was one for about sixty bucks and so I thought what the heck? Next thing I knew, I was doing a lot of research on line trying to learn the details. Now I have heard that making fly rods could get addicting, but after seeing that first one complete, I knew I was hooked (pun intended).

I was so excited about my new toy and wanted desparately to try it out. Knowing that there are no lakes or rivers handy in our neighborhood, I ended up sneaking out early one Friday morning and went to the church and tried casting on the lawn. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't help but keep one eye looking around for someone to start laughing at the looney trying to catch fish on the grass.

Anyway, in all, I have made five rods now, three for myself and two for other people. I am through for a little while because even I can't justify any more fishing gear for myself when I only get out two or three times a year. If anyone out there needs a handmade fly rod, I know a great guy who will make you one for his cost...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for posting on your blog all by yourself! Maybe next time, you can post some pictures or some instructions on how to make a fly rod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post pictures of your fly rods and then you should use those pictures to see if you can sell your fly rods on Etsy.com or ebay.

    ReplyDelete